How to recover messages from one Microsoft Outlook Express folder with Easy Outlook Express Repair? Step-by-step instruction.
Easy Outlook Express Repair (download - EULA) is used to recover messages from folders of the Microsoft Outlook Express mail client version 5/6 (files in the *.dbx format). This tool can be used in case you lose part of your messages in a folder or when the folder file is damaged so that the mail client cannot open it. Easy Outlook Express Repair is a powerful yet easy-to-use tool for recovering lost information. You can recover folders in two modes:
- recovering information from one Microsoft Outlook Express dbx file.
- processing files in the batch mode when the program recovers information from several dbx files one by one.
Let us see how to recover one file
This mode is useful when there were several messages lost in one folder or a small number of storage files (1-2) with Microsoft Outlook Express folders were corrupted in some other way (because of viruses, antivirus software or other dangers). The recovery of one file consists of two steps in this program:
- Select the dbx file to be recovered
- Select the folder to save recovered messages to
You can exit the program in any recovery step by clicking the Close button or by closing the window of the program.
1. Select the dbx file to be recovered
Right after you start Easy Outlook Express Repair, you will see the window where you can select the file to be recovered or switch to the batch file processing mode.
The window contains the following control elements:
- The Batch Mode button - switch to the batch file processing mode
- The Help button - open help
- The Home Page button - visit the home page of the program
- The About button - open information about the program. You can also use the About dialog box to open the dialog box where you can enter the registration code.
- The Buy Now button (available only in the demo version) - visit the purchase page.
- The field for entering the name and the path to the Outlook Express dbx file.
- The button - open the Open File dialog box.
- The Search .dbx files button - open the Search file... dialog box.
- The Next button - move on to selecting the folder to save recovered messages to.
- The Close button - exit the program.
There are three methods to select the dbx file to be recovered in Easy Outlook Express Repair:
- Entering the path and file name manually into the input field. When you start the program, the folder where Outlook Express files are stored is automatically specified in the input field. The programs takes this path from the Outlook Express settings for the current user and his identity and the file name corresponds to the folder opened in Outlook Express by default.
Attention! When you enter the name file manually, make sure you type the extension.
- Selecting the file in the standard Open File dialog box. When you open the dialog box, it automatically opens the folder specified in the input field. If this folder does not exist, the program opens the folder specified as the message store in the Outlook Express settings for the current user and his identity. If the program cannot open this folder for some reason as well, it opens the root folder of the system drive.
- Searching the specified location for all .dbx files and selecting one of the found files.
Let us take this method in detail
To open the Search file... dialog box, click the button Search .dbx files. After that the dialog box you can see in will appear. The Search files... dialog box contains the following control elements:
- The drop-down combo box for selecting or typing the search file mask. It is possible to search for *.dbx files, all files (*.*) or type your custom mask.
- The Search Now button - start the search.
- The Stop Search button - stop searching for files (available only during the process of searching for files)
- The folder tree for selecting the search location
- The list of found files
- The Ok button - close the search dialog box confirming the file selection (available only if one of the files in the list is selected)
- The Cancel button - close the dialog box without selecting the file
To start searching for files, select the necessary drive or folder in the folder tree (left pane), select the search file mask from the list or type it in the field on the top of form. It is recommended to use the default *.dbx mask, but if you know the file name or its part (as a rule, the name of a dbx file coincides with the Outlook Express folder name), you can type the full or partial name of the file in the field. After you select the search location and the mask, click the Search Now button.
Attention! If no search location (a folder or drive in the folder tree) is selected, Easy Outlook Express Repair will display a warning message and the file search will not be started.
Found files will be displayed in the list during the search. After the search is started, the Search Now button becomes unavailable and the Stop Search button becomes available. You can use the Stop Search button to stop the search at any time. Thus, there is no need to wait till the search is over if the program has already found the file you need. After the search is over, select the dbx file you need to recover in the list and click the OK button. If you need to close the dialog box without selecting a file, click the Cancel button.
After you select the file using one of the methods, click the Next button in the main window of the program to move on to selecting the folder to save recovered messages to.
2. Select the folder to save recovered messages to
After you click the Next button, the window where you can select the folder to save recovered messages to will appear.
The window contains the following control elements:
Items 1-5 are similar to the first window.
- The field where you specify the name and the path to the folder for Easy Outlook Express Repair to save recovered messages to.
- The button - open the dialog box for selecting the folder to save messages to.
- The Back button - go back to the window for selecting the dbx file to be recovered.
- The Start Recovery button - start the message recovery process.
- Similar to item 10.
There are two methods to select the folder to save recovered messages to in Easy Outlook Express Repair:
- Entering the path to the folder manually into the input field. When you open the window for selecting the folder where to save recovered messages, the path to the folder where the source file was located is automatically specified in the input field with a new folder created in it whose name consists of the dbx file name (without the extension) and the string folder repaired. For example, messages from the Incoming.dbx file will be saved to the new folder Incoming folder repaired created in the folder where this file is located. If messages have already been recovered before, the path to the folder to save recovered messages to will remain the same and the messages will be saved to the same folder where the previous messages were saved.
Attention! If you need to change the folder where to save messages into the one specified by default (for example, Incoming-folder-repaired for Incoming.dbx), before you click the Back button or the Close button after the message recovery, clear the input field.
- Selecting the folder using the standard Open Folder dialog box. When you open the dialog box, it automatically opens the folder specified in the input field. If this folder does not exist, the last existing folder in the path is opened (for example, if you specify the folder D:\EasyOutlookExpress\Repair\Inbox\, but the Inbox folder does not exist, the following folder will be opened in the dialog box: D:\EasyOutlookExpress\Repair\). You can also create the folder you need in the dialog box.
After you select the folder to save files to, click the Finish button (Fig. 3) to start recovering messages from the corrupted Microsoft Outlook Express folder. After you click this button, Easy Outlook Express Repair will analyze the source dbx file, recover all messages that can be recovered in it and save them to the selected folder. If you use the demo version of the program, you can recover only the last 10 messages.
If several messages with the same name are recovered during the recovery process, the following index is added to them: , , etc.
The process of recovering messages from the Microsoft Outlook Express folder (the dbx file) is shown in the report dialog box.
The dialog box contains the following information:
- Total number of detected messages
- Total number of recovered messages
- Recovery progress in percent
- The OK button - close the repair.
After the message recovery process is over, Easy Outlook Express Repair will open the folder the recovered information was saved to for you to be able to view it.
To exit the program, use the OK button to close the report and click the Close button. To recover another *.dbx file after you close the report, use the Back button to get back to the file selection window .
In case you use the demo version and after the recovery is over, you will see a dialog box with the warning that the number of recovered messages is limited to 10, the list of recovered and the button that closes the dialog box and the button Buy Now that takes you to the page where you can buy the full version of the program.
Note: Easy Outlook Express Repair not include donate, GPL, MPL, GNU LGPL or other freeware license. Easy Outlook Express Repair is not open source project. TILY LIMITED team develop a software with free DEMO version.